Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Garage Sale

Our neighborhood had it's annual garage sale yesterday. What an event. The entire 'hood was overrun with cars and trucks hauling away their buried treasures or what some would call other people's junk. I participated in order to fulfill another item on my "dream for the future" goal list. The goal was to clean out and sell everything I own. I can't do that just yet, but I did manage to clean out every closet and cabinet and the entire garage!

The garage sale-ing community is so interesting. There are people who make an entire event out of garage sale-ing. They get together with the friends or family early on Saturday morning and troll around for the no longer wanted items of others. They all have their little coin purses or fanny packs strapped on, with a ration of ones and change to prevent over-spending. I have identified two trends in garage sale goers:

1. The ones who will buy anything and everything that is a good deal. If it's 50 cents, they'll get it, just based on principle.
2. The picky ones who are looking for specific things- like the lady who walked into my driveway and said "do you have anything with frogs?"

My favorite items I rid myself of (and can't believe anyone bought!)

1. Rolls of tape- Person A used to bring home rolls and rolls of all kinds of different tape from his video shoots. As I cleaned out closets and drawers this week, I kept finding them. People were lining up for them.
2. Outdoor grill- not a fancy one, just a grill. I was asking $5 for it, it just needed a good cleaning, and I was not going to be the one to do it. People were asking me if I would take $3 for it. Come on people, that's a bargain! In the end two people ended up in a bidding war and the winner gave me $6 for the stupid thing. The loser stating "man, I should have just taken it for $5." That's the breaks of the garage sale world.
3. Gas cook top- beautiful, gas cook top, never been used before. It was given to me and sat in my garage for the last 2 years. I only took it because I thought I would put it in my house when I renovated the kitchen, but then my dad came down and put the kibosh on that idea when he decided to re-configure the whole thing. So I sold it for a whopping $50. Considering everything else was selling for 3 bucks, that was quite the sale of the day.

I've decided that I need to go on one of these Saturday morning escapades of my own. I have to find someone to go with- KK or Cher, it's one of you for sure! Will we be number 1's or number 2's?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Good morning my sweet girl. I have taken the last 30 minutes to catch up on your blog. I laughed, cried (maybe that was a little dramatic) but overall loved it as usual.