Sunday, June 15, 2008

I could have danced all night

So, I've been hanging out with this new group of people. Let me lay out the characters for you...

Julia- The restaurant manager of the hot new restaurant in Mid-Town
Sal- Her male BFF who apparently has more money than any of us can fathom
Zack- the crazy half Syrian half Sicilian (yes he's insane) who drives a $200,000 Hot Yellow Porsche, who owns his own string of restaurants in Houston

So Julia and I are similar in the respect that she and I are both totally obsessed with food, catering and events. We thrive on it, never want to do anything differently. She and I are also similar in that we have very few people in our core group of friends. She and I of which are now in each others. The four of us spend every waking moment at Julia's restaurant, eating and drinking (well, they drink, I have sparkling water). And when the restaurant closes, we go out--any given night of the week. Yes, we stay out until 2am on Wednesdays. The beautiful thing about this pattern we've gotten ourselves into is that I don't have to be at home alone anymore. I'm always out with the crazies. I love Julia to death, she's always got something going on. We talk and talk and talk and hash every situation that comes up in either of our lives. We never get tired of it. We are also constant reminders to each other of what we don't need or want in our lives. And I'm thankful for that.

Sal is the friggin' nicest person I have met in a long time. He and Julia used to "date" but are now BFF. They spend all day on the phone and hanging out. Of course Sal owns his own business so he can "work" when he wants and not work if he doesn't want to. But he's so great about it. And humble. I have yet to go to his house, but I imagine it to be one of these places where he has Staff to maintain. It's fun pulling up to a club in a ridiculous car with a license plate that simply says "SAL" and the valet clears out for us. The fact that he has lots of money really does not matter to me, it's just fascinating to me, and a life I know I will never live. I have to say, I would like Sal regardless if he was wealthy or not.

Zack is insane. Anyone who drives a florescent lemon yellow 2 seater Porsche is crazy. But he's all love. And he now loves Julia. After a month of courting her, she finally agreed to go out with him and they have been in bliss (almost) ever since. They are both so combative, that they fight, and push each other's point until they both are talking over each other saying "that's what I'm saying babe" to each other, realizing that they aren't actually arguing, but reinforcing what the other is saying and then they are kissing to make up. It's hilarious, and definitely keeps Sal and I entertained.

Oh and Zack and Sal are long time friends as well. It's a crazy circle this one. Not sure how long I'm going to be able to keep up with all of the shenanigans, but it sure is fun and entertaining while it's going on.

So last night we all met up at 10 to eat at Zack's restaurant. Julia and Zack fighting, Sal and I just laughing at them. Then on to dancing. I danced for over 2 hours solid in 4 inch heals. I am a professional. It was so fun. I love being in a club and not caring, oh and I looked so good last night. Then Sal and I ended the night smoking cigars and heading home at 3am. It was just a much needed perfectly fun evening. I'm so appreciative of this new gift I've been given. These people to fill my time and space with something other than work and sleep.

No comments: