Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wonderful Wednesdays

When Julia moved into Houston from the suburbs, she lost her normal support network. She gained more time with her kids, but lost kid sitters. I decided that since I take over her house on the weekends and she feeds me on the daily (otherwise I would not eat) and does all sorts of other things for me, I would volunteer for the duty of kid sitting 2 nights a week. Well, you know I can't just be that person who shows up and lets the kids watch tv while I talk on the phone with whomever. So I started doing fun activities on Wednesday evenings with the kids, which they have since coined "Wonderful Wednesdays." As if I needed another venue to try and reinvent myself with, I have yet another one.

Let me re-cap our activities:

- Astros game
- Texans game
- Dinner at Chipotle followed by late-nite ice skating
- Cupcake eating at the fanciest cupcake place in Houston
- Paint your own pottery
- Mowing down at the best hamburger place in town

And tonight I have lit the chiminea to make s'mores and the kids have decorated the outdoor patio with ferry lights and blankets to create an outdoor lounge for us to hang out all night. They are super cute and appreciative. On Mondays they start asking "Jen, what are we going to do for Wonderful Wednesdays?" and on Wednesday they rush home from school to finish their homework before I get to their house so we can hang out the whole night.

I've just created another venue in which I continue to re-invent myself over and over again. Plus Wonderful Wednesdays plays into my creating events of everything.

1 comment:

megan said...

damn, i should have stayed until wed :)