Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Summer night at the grocery store

The most fun I've had in a while. Now, mind you, I have been working like a dog, non-stop for a while now, and have not been to the grocery store in over a month, and haven't been to the grocery store by myself in...well...I don't remember. So tonight, my roommate left to go out of town, and I had a memorable evening.

I didn't buy anything to make a meal, or to complete a meal in the traditional sense. For you a meal might mean a salad, main dish, 2 sides and some bread. For me, a meal can be a French baguette, Laughing Cow Cheese, Hanson's green tea and pomegranate soda, and for dessert, plain yogurt with raw honey. YUMMMM. And so that is exactly what I am having now that I have returned from my adventure. There once was a day when this was the norm for me. I might even eat one sliced sweet potato baked in the oven and topped with brown sugar. Now my life is filled with meat and rice, no vegetables, and little fruit. Tonight was liberating. I went in with no shopping list and no time limits. I just perused and let my senses take everything in. I remembered what it felt like to go out in flip flops, shorts and a tank top instead of stopping in my 4 inch heals on my way home from work. The late night reminded me of South Carolina, I bought only organic as if I was in Colorado, I walked around eating my baguette as if I was in France, I bought only snack-like food as if I was in Israel. Here is what I came out with:

4 bottles of San Pellegrino
Laughing Cow Cheese
Brie
Canned tuna in water
Cracked pepper crackers
Ground turkey
Milk for my favorite cereal already at my house
Plain yogurt
An avocado
Pierogies
Hanson's all natural green tea and pomegranate soda
Black beans
Earl Grey tea bags
Dozen eggs
Dark chocolate Snickers-minis
Martha Stewart magazine

Let's go back to the Dark chocolate Snickers-minis. THE DEVIL. OK, how does the Universe know that I already have a Snickers-minis problem? I won't buy or eat a regular or even King-sized Snickers, only the minis. It all has to do with the choclate to innereds ratio. AND NOW THEY HAVE THEM WITH DARK CHCOLATE!?!?!?!!! Had to buy a bag. And I didn't even get home before trying them- yum.

Martha Stewart mag. is my favorite, and another thing I don't indulge in enough, but when I got to the register and saw the Halloween issue, I couldn't resist. I love curling up on the couch to do the initial flip through. Then going back and reading all about the ideas that intrigued me the first time.

Another thing that is so great about my evening alone, is that every article of clothing that I own has been washed, dryed and neatly put away. Hanging clothes organized, t-shirts folded. Why is this one of the most peaceful and satisfying things ever?

No comments: