Monday, September 3, 2007

I still have sand in my shoes


"I still have sand in my shoes, and I can't shake the thought of you. I should get off, forget you, but why would I want to?"

For me, this line, from this song, isn't about a love interest, and it isn't about a person, but about life experiences and my living in the past, and always wanting the past back. My grass isn't greener on the other side, my grass is greener 5 years ago. And no matter what happens to me everyday, no matter the bounties, I know that the grass was greener then.

I walk around in with sand in my shoes always. White sand from the sandtrap of a golfcourse where I grew up. Beach sand from the shores of sunny South Carolina where I went to school. Dessert sand from Israel, where I spent the best 18 months of my life. Sand from the terrain of the Colorado Rockies where I lived aimlessly for 9 months. Where I live now, there is no sand. There hasn't been new sand in my shoes for years, but the old sand remains.

No comments: