Monday, October 8, 2007

I have a plant

You know those people who have plants that represent something?

Well I have a plant.

Let me tell you about the plant. I received the plant, as a gift, many years ago. It was given to me by someone I dearly loved. It was given on a very happy day during a happy time. It's just a simple plant in a perfect container that was custom made for me. Hand crafted with utmost care. I have moved it a number of times, the plant goes everywhere with me. The plant makes me happy. So the plant is in my house, in a place where I see it everyday. I watch the plant and monitor its health and well-being. I wash the plant, and trim the plant, I care for the plant... and the plant is barely hanging on- not dead, and it doesn't appear to be dying, but it is stressed, and it certainly isn't thriving. And it has been that way for quite some time.

I should probably let the plant die.

I do let go at times.
The water runs dry.
It shrivels up.
Then I give it some water.
It comes back to life.
It may never die.
I may keep moving it from place to place for the rest of my life.


It's not easy to detach from a living thing.

No comments: